by Isabella Sansone ’18
IWL Student Advisory Panelist
On February 14, 2017 (Valentine’s Day!), the Institute for Women’s Leadership at Nichols College presented “Love Your Selfie,” an event that promoted self-confidence and positivity on campus. Students could write something that they didn’t just like, but loved about themselves on a whiteboard, and take a picture inside an Instagram frame with the hashtag #LoveYourSelfie. They left with a print out of their picture, along with a motivational quote attached to candy to further promote self-love and healthy self-esteem.
When Valentine’s Day comes around, there is a lot of unspoken tension in the air. The pressure of relationships and having a “Valentine” can be overwhelming. All that stress can make us forget what is most important: to love ourselves. Every day on social media we see plenty of “selfies,” but are people really posting these pictures because they feel good about themselves, or just to get “likes?” We wanted to change that so they are posting for themselves.
“Love Your Selfie” was an initiative to bring confidence and positivity to campus, and it was without a doubt a success! Students left smiling with their pictures and candy, feeling positive and confident for the rest of their Valentine’s Day!
We hope you will join us at some of our events this semester!
Email reminders with details will be sent to students prior to each event. Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-213-2443.
- Film: Joy ~ January 30, 3:45p.m. Based on true story of entrepreneur and self-made millionaire Joy Mangano. Cultural event, co-sponsored with Fischer Institute.
- Student Lean In Circle ~ February 1, 3:30-4:30p.m. First Wednesday every month in IWL. Casual gathering for fun, development, and support with other female students.
- Love Your Selfie ~ February 14, 1:30-3:30p.m. Positive messages, photo booth & candy! Conceived by the IWL Student Advisory Panel.
- Faculty/Staff Lean In Circle ~ February 16, 12:00-1:00p.m (rescheduled from Feb. 13). Monthly gathering for learning, connection, and motivation with female staff and faculty in a supportive, open environment.
- Campus Presentation of 2017 Massachusetts Women’s Leadership Index ~March 1, 1:30p.m. Hear about this IWL research project, and learn about Massachusetts measures up against other states.
- Student Lean In Circle ~ March 1, 3:30-4:30p.m. First Wednesday every month, 3:30-4:30, in IWL. Casual gathering for fun, development, and support with other female students.
- Faculty/Staff Lean In Circle ~ March 6, 4:30-5:30pm. Monthly gathering for learning, connection, and motivation with female staff and faculty in a supportive, open environment.
- College Connection Mentoring Program/ Part II ~ March 8. Volunteer Nichols students will spend the day mentoring a group of high school juniors on: the college search and application process, as well as transitioning from high school. Made possible in part by grant from American Association of University Women.
- Guest Speaker/Cultural ~ Olympian Angela Hucles ~ March 22, 7:00p.m
Two-time women’s soccer Olympic Gold Medalist Angela Hucles will speak about leadership and empowerment through sport.
- Empowering Women in Business Conference ~ March 23, 1:00-7:00p.m. Nichols presents 7th annual conference, welcoming professional women in the region for networking, skill building, and inspiration. Visit www.empowering-women.biz for information. Registration required.
- Campus Leadership Summit ~ March 26, 1:00-6:00p.m. Planned in conjunction with other departments on campus, students apply to be part of a day of professional development and brainstorming. Designed to bring together student leaders from a variety of areas on campus.
- Faculty/Staff Lean In Circle ~ April 3, 4:30-5:30p.m. Monthly gathering for learning, connection, and motivation with female staff and faculty in a supportive, open environment.
- Conversation Project Dinner: April 3, time TBD. Join fellow students for dinner with a professional guest in a casual, conversational setting. Limited seats; registration required.
- Negotiation Workshop: April 4, time TBD. In partnership with the American Association of University Women, female Nichols students will be trained in assertive, respectful negotiation techniques, in an effort to help decrease the gender wage gap. Limited seats; registration required.
- Student Lean In Circle ~ April 5, 3:30-4:30p.m. First Wednesday every month, 3:30-4:30, in IWL. Casual gathering for fun, development, and support with other female students.
- Awareness Week & Equal Pay Day Bake Sale: April 10-14, various times. Members of the IWL Student Advisory Panel will hold a series of events designed to raise awareness on campus on the issues of women and leadership. At the Equal Pay Day Bake Sale, a nationwide awareness event, men will pay $1.00 while women will pay $0.75 – to underscore the impact of the gender wage gap.
- Improv Workshop: April 13, 3:30-5:00p.m. Fun and interactive workshop co-presented with the Marketing & Communication Student Club. Limited seats available.
- Cultural: the Status of Women Leaders ~ April 20, 2017, 1:30p.m. Learn about the representation and status of female leaders in various industries.